I finished this quilt so quickly that it was done before hubby has even started building the bed!
I used 6 inch squares for the block centers and 3 inch strips to frame them, and then trimmed each block to 11 inches square. My son chose many of his I-spy fabrics, and some were such large prints that I used a few 11 inch square blocks without borders. He was insistent about that Thomas the Tank Engine fabric, and this one didn't work well in 6 inch squares. I used scrap and stash fabrics in primary colors to make the "frames," although for a few squares I used strips of the novelty I spy fabrics, when the print was small enough.
I used 2 of each fabric so he can also look for matches, as he likes matching games a lot right now. To make this twin quilt takes 35 blocks, in 7 rows of 5, so you need 2 each of 17 different fabrics, one of which you will use 3 times. To make this quilt harmonious, I stuck with a palette of mostly primary colors in the prints, and enhanced this by using reds, blues, and greens for the framing strips.
This is an easy, quick, I-spy quilt to sew that uses scraps but has a coherent quality that brings the diverse prints together in a fun way.
I am feeling quite quilt-y lately; I just finished a new top which I will quilt soon and I have a lot of quilt ideas swirling in my head, so I hope to make more posts again here soon. I hope you and yours enjoy a beautiful day today and that you all have a beautiful tomorrow, too! Happy Sewing!